Saturday, February 25, 2006

(DON'T) PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH

Okay, so I know I have a recent post that argues, with the help of the Popeye Soundtrack, that "Everything Is Food," but in fact that is not true.

Everything is NOT food!

When I was young, it took me about five new boxes of Crayola's to remember that the purple crayon DID NOT taste like grape, and, moreover, it was NOT edible. I somehow knew the other crayons were not for consumption, but that purple crayon...oh man was it seductive! It REALLY looked grapey-delicious, and somehow I always ended up going for it. Crayons are a nasty thing to put in one's mouth: they are waxy and slightly bitter and it is WORK getting the chewed up bits out of one's teeth.
Lesson learned, purple crayon!

Another childhood indulgence was Play-Doh. Now hear me out: Play-Doh is actually quite edible, but it is not FOOD, per se. I took a little trip to the Play-Doh website and found this bit of useful information:

"The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat. PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted: Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product."

Thank goodness I had no allergies, because unbeknownst to my parents I was stuffing a lot of Play-Doh into my young piehole. It was salty and soft and not necessarily delicious but the colors were appetizing enough to make up for it. My mother used to make a homemade version of Play-Doh as well, using flour, cornstarch, water, and food coloring, and I remember nibbling on this as well.
Lesson learned, Play-Doh!

I have tasted all manner of non-foods. Hey, I grew up with dogs and older brothers; it was bound to happen. I remember my older brother Shane presenting me with what looked like a snack of delicious cheese and crackers. As I bit down, however, the cracker was impossibly hard. I could not get through it but continued to try. Shane, after laughing at me for about five minutes, admitted the "cracker" was in fact an Alpo Snap dog biscuit. I wish I could say that his admission stopped me from biting it, but it didn't. I continued to gnaw on the Snap, in an attempt to break through it. By that point it had become a challenge to my nascent adult teeth, and I was ready to take it. Take it and lose, folks. I may be a bitch but I am no dog; this fact was proven at around age 10.
Lesson learned, Alpo Snaps!

But the best non-food material that has ever crossed my lips and entered my digestive tract isn't a Crayola or Play-Doh or an Alpo Snap. It is tree pulp.

Yes: tree pulp.

One of my earliest and most favorite non-food-eating experiences was the result of my parents removing an incredibly large tree from our backyard. It was an amazing thing to witness as a six year old: watching this enormous tree get completely destroyed in sections by the buzz of a saw...its demise has become fixed in my memory because it was so sad. Or maybe it's just sad to me now. Because at the time, I wasn't so much as saddened by it as made curious. As the freshly cut tree parts lay in rounds on our lawn, my twin sister Sybil and I couldn't help but explore them. And, as everyone knows, when you're a child you tend to explore things with your entire person, including your mouth. Well, the tree pulp was moist and pale like white chicken meat, and Sybil and I really believed it was chicken. And so we ate it. We would go outside and pick at the tree meat and put it in our mouths. And I remember feeling like it was the most delicious food that I had ever eaten, because it was so fresh and pure and mild. And we didn't get sick from it, either. Because we were children, and childhood is a magical time where our imaginations protect us from the dangers of reality. Sometimes.

I love that I ate from that tree and I wonder what part of me the tree fed and what part of me the tree became and I love that some part of me is part of that tree because we should all always carry the best parts of our youth with us, permanently. I am the tree, the tree is me. I want it to be like this forever.

And now I am back to my original point, and so I've changed my mind.

Everything IS food. It is! May it ever be.

2 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free, oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, tory burch outlet, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, jordan pas cher, replica handbags, nike roshe, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, christian louboutin outlet, prada handbags, kate spade, longchamp outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike air max, nike free run, burberry pas cher, chanel handbags, michael kors pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, prada outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren, coach outlet store online, tiffany and co, christian louboutin uk, ugg boots, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin shoes

11:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, converse outlet, north face outlet, celine handbags, mont blanc pens, toms shoes, wedding dresses, bottega veneta, beats by dre, ghd hair, vans, gucci, hollister clothing, mcm handbags, ralph lauren, instyler, north face outlet, babyliss, jimmy choo outlet, valentino shoes, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, vans outlet, supra shoes, karen millen uk, converse, chi flat iron, reebok outlet, herve leger, juicy couture outlet, p90x workout, timberland boots, montre pas cher, nike air max, insanity workout, hollister, ray ban, oakley, baseball bats, hermes belt, lancel, nike roshe run, mac cosmetics, asics running shoes, louboutin, juicy couture outlet, new balance shoes, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home