Friday, April 28, 2006

MEAT OR NO MEAT, THERE IS NO TRY

I was a vegetarian for five years. Strict one, too! I even tried going vegan during my veggie tenure, but that lasted a single, excruciating, week. Me and cheese and ice cream? We're kind of Best Friends.

But now I'm clearly NOT a vegetarian, and I do suffer guilt feelings over it. To assuage my own bad feelings about eating meat, I Took A Stand. A Very Silly, Probably Ineffective, Stand. Around the time I quit being a vegetarian, some six years ago, I also quit eating most fast food. I honestly haven't purchased anything from McDonald's in five years, and am committed to never doing so again. I say "no" to most chains: Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Arby's, Hardees, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's, White Castle, Papa John's, and Chipotle. I just don't consider them, ever, as viable places in which to purchase food.

Full Disclosure: feel free to call me a hypocrite if you see me with a Starbuck's coffee cup in my hand; yes, I do occasionally buy coffee there, as well as from Dunkin Donuts, although I have recently stopped buying from Dunkin Donuts because their storefronts have been popping up EVERYWHERE in the city recently and it depresses me. I think, actually, that I will now give up Starbucks, too. JUST NOT WORTH IT! And, let me tell you, TOO EXPENSIVE!

Look, we all pick our battles, right? My decision to not eat fast food is neither noble or even worthy of the word "battle" but I feel compelled to take SOME responsibility over how I consume. I KNOW the Big Mac is empirically DELICIOUS, but I also KNOW that spending money at McDonald's is empirically irresponsible. Read Fast Food Nation. Really.

And if I feel this way, you might ask, then WHY NOT just be a vegetarian? Go ALL THE WAY, Megan!

And to that I say, PLEASE READ THE MAY ISSUE OF HARPER'S MAGAZINE. There is an amazing article on being a responsible carnivore. It is more articulate and moving than I could ever be in a summation of it, so just go read it for free at Barnes and Noble. Or, better, BUY the issue at your local independent book shop!

I would love to raise my own cows and eat them. Same for chickens! THAT is respectful. Mindless eating of industrialized meat without recognition? Not so much.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow, I just don't see you as the shoveling manure and/or chicken shit type......

Need to be a very early riser for that kind of care takeing.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

wow! way to bust out the potty mouth!

also: i wake up at 6:40am sometimes TWICE a week for "the talking cure". i think that's some legitimate early rising, lady.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've gone a bit too far now. Leave Dunkin' Donuts ("DD") alone. The reason that they're expanding all over the place is obvious: they are soooo GOOD. Also, the more of them, the better competition to keep a lid on those scary Starbucks prices. And since you seem unable to layoff Starbucks, well, anything to keep prices down will help. Finally, get off Starbucks and into DD. Their coffee is BETTER; their donuts are BEYOND. And now, they're EVERYWHERE.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog is the only thing that makes me want to eat meat again!
You have a mouthwatering way with words.
I'm going to go check out the Harper's story.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home