Friday, April 14, 2006

ONE TINY SPARK

Last night I said goodbye to an old friend. This friend loved me, he loved me more than anyone has ever loved me, and for a time I loved him back. And when we did love each other, we ate so well together! Now that I know what it's like to be hungry alone, I realize what a privilege it was to be hungry with someone else. "When do we eat?" is a beautiful question, my favorite question. "When do I eat?" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. But I will get used to it.

I said goodbye to my friend, my beautiful best friend, at Casimir, a French restaurant in the East Village. Through the course of our years together we shared so many meals there; we used to stuff ourselves with luxurious fatty foods like country pate, foie gras terrine, duck confit, and goat cheese salads with roasted tomatoes and eggplant caviar. Last night we shared a bottle of Cotes du Rhone; once, it had been our favorite wine. But wine doesn't taste the same when you're crying; tears are no complement to any meal.

This is the week of the Last Supper. And last night I had mine. There are clean slates, and there are clean plates. I was lucky to know him. Those were some of my favorite meals.

4 Comments:

Blogger crabbydad said...

You know, though I'm certainly not an authority on the meaning of religious holidays, I think this weekend is also Easter, which apparently has something to do with rebirth (and eggs and bunnies and baby marshmallow fowl). So hopefully your Last Supper will soon give way to a bouncing baby newborn appetite.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on Chocky!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you shouldn't say go goodbye to people like these...people you will miss eating with, beautiful friends.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

adidas yeezy boost 350
pandora charms outlet
coach outlet store online
toms shoes outlet
coach factory outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet store
ugg boots clearance
mont blanc
2016.12.22chenlixiang

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home