Tuesday, March 13, 2007

PAN-FRIED GRAPEFRUIT

I know: you wouldn't think you should/could cook grapefruit, but you CAN! I DID! Here's why: I love dessert and all manner of sweetness, but my ice-cream addiction needs an intervention. In looking for something to simultaneously satisfy my sweet-tooth AND keep my ass in shape, I invented a dessert last night that is actually delicious. Here it is:

1 Ruby-Red Grapefruit, skinned, cut-up.
1 Tbs Grand Marnier
Honey (a good amount)
Cinnamon (as much or as little as you like)

Combine, cook, let it all sizzle for awhile. Put that shit in a bowl, let it cool so you don't burn your tongue, and eat with a spoon. It's 100% delicious, and, like, totally healthy. You can make it without the Grand Marnier, too, and the shit still tastes rich.

I've done a variation of this swapping grapefruit for apples, only I saute the whole thing in butter, and then I put heaping scoops of vanilla ice-cream on it. It's like the best part of apple pie, sans pie. Oh, and it's not quite as healthy as the grapefruit, which is why, sigh, it is more delicious.