Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"...I REALLY SHOULDN'T SAY IT BUT I JUST LOVE WHAT THE WATER DOES" -- AMBIGUITY

Apologies in advance:

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die."

Orsino, Twelfth Night (I, i,1-3)

I love this!
I hate this!

Orsino, the Duke, says this as he thinks about his unrequited love for Olivia, but really: isn't he just in love with love?

Ah, I can relate, Orsino! I feel your pain, muchacho! It's why I listen to music. It surely is the food of love, but I would also say that music is the food of life. Music is the score to my memory, my nostalgia, my joy, my grief. It is the metronome keeping time to all my life's experience, and it feeds me as much as, if not more than, food. And my body is never satisfied! Like eating, the more I indulge, the more I want; it perpetuates its own impulse. I thought I was full but then, there it is: I am hungry AGAIN!

And isn't it all a matter of taste? Some people don't care what they put in their mouths, just as some don't care what they hear in their ears. Some find delight in any meal, just as they might find some joy in any melody. I am not like that. But when I do like something, I just can't get enough!

Music. Food. Love.

I am Orsino: all of the binge, none of the purge.