Monday, June 26, 2006

THE MAN

I have a man in my life. Actually, I have The Man in my life. I call him The Man because I don't know his name and also because he is The Man from whom I get one of my favorite things: ice-cream.

The Man is a relative stranger, and I am a relative stranger to him, even though we see each other fairly often! I don't want to be strangers, but neither one of us is doing anything to remedy our anonymity, so I suppose it won't change. I never stray from what I want to order; my preference is consistent, but each time I go to this ice-cream man I must order as if it's the first time I've ever been. It's as if he's never seen me before, and I have to reintroduce myself and say, "Pistachio hot fudge with whipped cream, no sprinkles." I'm not offended that he doesn't remember me -- actually, that's a lie! -- of course, vainly, I wish that he would. I wish I made enough of an impression on him that I could just walk in and he'd KNOW what to give me. That's asking a lot from a guy who gives out ice-cream all day long, but why shouldn't I ask a lot? I'm one of his best customers! That should entitle me to a little extra, right? Some familiarity? A "personal touch?" But no. Of course not. In the world of commerce, as I've come to know it, no one is ever entitled to anything. The Good Feeling is just A Bonus when money, or ice-cream, is changing hands.

I keep going to The Man both because I love his cheap sundaes and also because I'm hoping that one day he will know what I want. But The Man will never ever know what I want, even though what I want stays the same. It's because knowing what I want isn't INTERESTING to him! And I thought a pistachio hot fudge sundae with whipped cream no sprinkles was FASCINATING STUFF! I want to believe that out of all the people he serves, no one else is ordering what I'm ordering, which somehow makes my order special. This is called DELUSION. But I can't help it! The Man is Tops in my book, so I want to be Tops in HIS.

Oh, harumph! He probably doesn't even have a book! But, ah, at least he has ice-cream.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

PS: Megan, I will continue in the future reading your fine blog, and your exceptional work, so forget it, leave it lay, keep on keeping on as if.

This is unless, you tell me otherwise, I don't intend to interfere between you and your ice cream Man.

Looking forward to it.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this good, cheap ice cream place that you speak of?

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do so enjoy this blog. It is a food blog after all, and reading it almost always makes us hungry. Which is presumably the idea. Except that we do so wish that "jim" would simply stop writing those really creepy, weird, and totally perverse "comments" after almost all of your work. It distracts; it has no meaning; it is yuck. As for YOUR message, we can't wait for the next!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

The Man is on A between 6th and 7th Street. There's no real sign other than "Belgian Fries" and the storefront looks like some tiny, creepy bodega that Time forgot.

Sundaes are $2.50.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah, okay, really, you're too good for that, my apologies, I am no where near good at it anyway.

You must know you can delete those if you want to, that too would be a hint.

This blog is getter rather confusing, voices coming out of nowhere, I guess it is time to move on. See ya.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

tiffany and co jewelry
louis vuitton purses
louis vuitton usa
ugg outlet online
coach outlet store online clearances
canada goose jackets
ralph lauren kids
fitflops
canada goose outlet
kate spade outlet
2016.12.22chenlixiang

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home