Friday, May 26, 2006

RE-RE-REDUNDANT

I did a total repeatsies for dinner! On Wednesday AND Thursday nights I found myself walking past Trader Joe's, a supermarket that bolsters the position of those who argue for the existence of God. Trader Joe's is just...so...very. And its wine store, next door, is so very very, too. Maybe you've heard of their famous "2 buck chuck?" No need to pinch yourself; it's real, and I have twice taken advantage of its reality these last two nights. To be perfectly honest, here in New York City the "2 buck chuck" has been inflated ever so slightly, so it's actually "$3.99 chuck," but, whoa, that is still some seriously wholesale wine!

On Wednesday I bought a $3.99 bottle of Argentinian Malbec and a $3.99 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. I was delighted when the cashier carded me. I'm not old, but old enough that when he said, "Yeah, like you're even over 25," I was like, "I love you Mr. Trader Joe's Employee. Let's go get me pregnant right now, okay?" Since when can you get super-cheap wine AND flattered? Oh, maybe all the time! After I had purchased my libations I went into the grocery part of Trader Joe's and picked out some delicious yummies. I bought a packet of Thai Spiced Peanuts because they are like an instant mouth explosion. I bought some goat cheese and water crackers, spicy chipotle hummus, more Honey O's cereal, and fancy sparkling Italian lemon water because I thought the blue bottles were so beautiful. And they were only $.99! Then I took my wares home, opened the Malbec, shared it with the roommate, and watched her mouth explode on account of how delicious the Thai Spiced Peanuts were. She made us a Caprese salad, and we ate up my goat cheese on rosemary crackers that I already had in the pantry. It was kind of a perfect little dinner.

So I did it again LAST NIGHT! I met my friend outside my gym, which is conveniently close to Trader Joe's! I WIN SO HARD! We walked down to the wine store, and because my friend's a white wino we bought a $3.99 bottle of Chardonnay. Then I went next door and bought some St. Andre's cheese (it's basically butter that you're legally allowed to spread on crackers), more water crackers, more goat cheese, more Thai Spiced Peanuts, and more sparkling Italian lemon water in blue bottles. We took it to my place and had a hardcore chowdown/drinkfest. The Chardonnay may have been cheap, but it was GOOD! I generally don't like white wine...it's like drinking the hangover you know you're going to have, but this bottle was rather enjoyable. We annhilated the goat cheese and St. Andre's. Thai Spiced Peanuts? TS: Total Success.

Trader Joe's...sigh. A blind man can see how much I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home